About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Wednesday 15 May 2024

Project 24 - Battledown Flyover #6 (track prep)

In the early 1960s the track style at Battledown Flyover was quite different to that of today. Both the Salisbury and Southampton lines used wooden sleepers but their chair style differed. (incidentally no third rail). The Southampton down line was fitted with BR1 chairs and Spikes. I guess the up line was too although I have not seen photo evidence for it. The Salisbury line was fitted with BR3 chairs comprising a lip to hold the outer edge of the running rail, with a single baseplate screw to secure the outer side of the baseplate to the sleeper.  The inside of the rail and baseplate were secured with two spikes. Track was made from 60 foot flat bottom rail joined by four bolt fishplates and there were 24 sleepers per section.

Looking around at what stock I have there is a bit of Peco code 100, that is already allocated to something else but could be reclaimed for this project. There is more Graham Farish Formoway code 100 available, though not enough to build a layout so, I'll use this and buy more from the after market if needed.

When I rebuilt Misterton in code 75 bullhead I 3D printed the sleepers and chairs using my FDM printer for greater accuracy of chair style than R.T.R. track offered at the time. I am doing the same again, this time using my Resin printer to make flat-bottom rail sleepers and chairs. For the rail I'll strip it from my GF track.

I started with the BR1 design and lost count of the number of trials to get it to fit the rail smoothly. I measured the rail foot to be 1.9 mm wide. The 'trough' for the foot was eventually set at 2.08 mm. I think the failures were due to me not leaving sufficient clearance (by the way, the Peco rail foot is 2.3mm wide so, my chairs will not fit that brand).

I also designed and printed cosmetic four bolt fishplates.

The photos do not give justice to the fine details. With a magnifying glass the bolts and wood grain are clearly seen!

To Part 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...