About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Thursday 15 February 2024

SLA Resin 3D Printer #1

 

I have used an FDM (fused deposition modelling) printer for many years. My decision to invest in Resin Printing is to achieve finer model details compared to FDM. FDM has its place where detail is less important.

SLA (stereolithography) Resin printing is a whole different ball game. About the only common attribute is they both create models by layering the material.

Compared to FDM my research revealed:

      1. PPE required (the resin is toxic)
      2. Tall models take much longer to form. (all day, or more in worst cases)
      3. Resin requires an operating temperature 25-30 degrees C.
      4. Post processing necessary requiring extra equipment
There may be more. This is the price to pay for injection moulded quality of models without the high engineering costs.

Having studied tutorials and reviews I settled on the Creality Halot Mage. Its build area is what I need, the reviews were favourable and it is very good value for money. I bought it discounted by Creality and discounted even further using the their discount code. Another influencing factor was shipping from a UK supplier. (As far as I know all resin printers are made in China).

I am not going to review the machine as there are plenty of reviews on YouTube. Suffice to say the quality of build appears high and the user interface simple to understand and quick to navigate. Instead I'll say a few words about my buying experience.

Their UK online shop has the appearance of a UK company. It is well written in English language, easy to navigate and the buying process straightforward and delivery progress reports adequate. I assumed the sales operation was within the UK. Something jarred me though, can't remember what. 

After making the purchase I decided to check out reviews of the company and I am afraid there were some horror stories reported on Trust Pilot and elsewhere. It transpires that the sales and after sales operation is run from China and not the UK. Some people did not receive equipment, the equipment was incomplete or damaged, could not get refunds, damaged goods had to be returned directly to China. I became quite worried. Had I chosen a good supplier? 

One business day after purchase I received an email stating that my order was being shipped by Fedex on behalf of Ascent Transport Ltd. who the hell was that! Is this a scammer email? I researched the company and discovered it was a Chinese owned distribution centre located in Liverpool. Next day I received an email from Fedex stating delivery that morning. And it duly arrived two business days after purchase. Phew!

The machine was well packed and initial set up tested OK. I have yet to print because I need to buy more materials and equipment.

Purchased so far:
  1. Nitrile Gloves
  2. Washing tank
  3. Cotton wipes
  4. Resin
  5. Silicone Mat
  6. Funnel
To Buy:
  1. Heater
  2. Temperature Controller
  3. Temperature Measuring Gun
  4. UV curing Chamber
My only concern now, having read supplier reviews is, if it breaks down can it be repaired?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...