About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Tuesday 15 October 2024

Project 24 - Battledown Flyover #22 (Change to Plan)

I did not intend to accommodate the down Basingstoke to Southampton line because it would be another dead end like the up line but, featureless. After all it is the bridge on the (dead end) up line that is the main point of interest on this layout. 

When I came to consider landscaping the east end of the layout I discovered that the baseboard is wider than expected here and that prototypically part of the omitted down line would be visible as it sweeps in to join alongside the west of England main lines.

So, I have now added a short length of the down line. There is only enough baseboard width to run the track to the bridge and you can see from the inset in the photo how it meets the edge of the baseboard.

I decided not to power this track. It is therefore, simply part of the scenery. With hindsight I wish that I had widened the baseboard to accommodated a full run of track. The baseboard only needs about 75 mm more width at the west end. Also, I could run the track onto the non-scenic lifting section for even greater length (although the curve would be too tight for some locomotives). 

It would be possible to increase the baseboard width at the west end without too much trouble (if I feel like it in the future). For now, the short piece installed is essential to be true to prototype and it may be useful for photographic sessions.

To Part 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...