About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Sunday 10 November 2019

0 Gauge Class 33 Scratch Build - Part 6

The reference source for the cab detail came from YouTube videos. There is even one where the driver explained the function of the controls.

The wiring is for the LED headlamps and head code display board. The head code can be two white bars indicating the front of the train, or alphanumeric characters indicating a freight train route* within the BR(S) region, or two red bars indicating the rear. The usual method of lighting a model display unit is with switchable red/clear bi-colour LEDS for a bar configuration only.

* The loco is destined for freight working on a shunting type layout.

I am trying a different approach because I want the option of all configurations. The display unit is fitted with one clear LED giving upward light from the base of the unit. The top of the unit is open to let light into the ceiling of the cab, thus serving to light up the cab as well as the display unit. The illumination is a bit fierce so a dimmer circuit may be needed.

The 'glass' front of the unit is a removable panel with fitted transparent coloured bars or characters. Hence there is a number of panels that can be manually swapped for different displays. I know the lighting will be effective but have not yet designed the glass panel so, am hedging my bets that the system will work.

With regard to driver my plan was to place one driver in each cab for either direction of travel but I learnt that in my period (1960s) and right through the 1980s the policy was two crew who normally sat in the same cab. One was the driver and the other named Second Man who never drove the engine but took on ancillary duties.

I placed two crew in one cab to match the policy and none in the other. (Not ideal for one direction of travel where the cab will be void of crew.)

I wanted 3D printed uniformed figures for high definition and realism. The layered plastic method of my 3D printer is not suitable. I looked at Modelu and Hardy's Hobbies offerings. Only Hardy's had a uniformed seated driver of the period (and is a little cheaper than Modelu with fast delivery). The quality of the model is good and acceptable for inside the loco but, not quite as 'crisp' as I expected.

The way I designed the loco overall means that once the cab is in place it cannot be removed. I just hope the crew do not 'leave their seats' as it may be impossible to reseat them!

To Part 7.

To Part 1 of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...