About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Thursday, 24 July 2014

GBL BoB - Part 2

The tender is very simple to convert from static wheels to running wheels. Here is the tender completely disassembled.
Note the integrated metal static wheels, axles and frame that is discarded. The body is a one piece component that once removed will take a repaint for the BR period without over spray worries for the chassis.

A new axle frame needs to be fabricated and a set of wheels obtained. I used old Airfix/Dapol tender wheels from their BoB plastic kit that were left over when I motorised that model and fitted metal wheels to its tender. The wheels should be the Bulleid-Firth-Brown (Boxpok) style but plain disk wheels were supplied with the Airfix kit. Other disk wheels sets could be used of about 14 mm diameter.

Probably the easiest frame manufacture would be tin plate bent into a U shape like the old Wren Bulleid tenders, but with a 3D printer to hand I designed and printed my own.

It is a two part assembly. The main piece has U cut outs for the axles and the other piece is a lid that holds them in place. The whole assembly is held together with two of the long plinth securing screws from the GBL model. These pass through the two piece frame and screw down into the existing chassis fixing bosses. Glue is not required. The bearing surfaces for the axles are 2 mm long each side achieved by a deep bore slot relief in the middle. Reducing the bearing surface this way improves free running. I used grey PLA plastic for the frame that I had to hand and painted the sides black. Black PLA would be better.

A NEM pocket coupling is contained in the end of the frame by means of a dovetail slot - just like the latest Hornby models. It is a tight fit not needing glue.

In the photo below the finished tender assembly is hooked up to a 'Hatchett' Mk1 coach. The new frame is just visible between the wheels. If I had thought about it I could have designed the frame not to show at all and spent more time designing in brake gear but as the GBL model overall does not have the fine details of the latest Hornby model then it is ok as is for me. The tender will be repainted along with the engine when I have motorised it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...