About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Wednesday, 8 January 2020

Project 20 - 0 Gauge Layout - Part 1

I mentioned before that the inspiration for my foray into 0 gauge modelling was seeing 'Arun Quay' . The layout demonstrated that an authentic scene with operating interest can be created in a small space using 0 gauge (7mm fine scale).

Having made 8 wagons and set them out in a line with my Terrier loco on top of our upright piano they spanned the entire 1.4m length. It was then that I realised even a small freight train still demands space. This lead me to ponder a garden layout instead of a small indoor layout.

I could visualise a dumbbell layout circling the tree, snaking through the flower border passing the rear of the patio and turning back on itself through the far corner border-  a run of about 48 feet each way. The land slopes a bit in the flower border so the track bed would be a raised platform through the middle. I roughly calculated the cost of track and trackbed to be around £500. Then I thought, does it give value just watching a train going round and round since I am not interested in making a landscape with scale buildings etc. in an over scale environment.

My thoughts returned to a small indoor shunting layout like Arun Quay. I studied a variety of tack plans but nothing came close to the operational potential afforded by the Arun Quay plan. I make no apology for basing my plan on that with a few tweaks.

First job was to make the scenic baseboards, which was quick using two insulating foam boards 1.2m x 0.45m x 50mm from Wickes. The sides were covered in eighth inch hardboard for protection and these extended below by about 20mm to accommodate D type connectors and wiring- deep enough  to conceal SEEP point motors too, though I don't plan to motorise turnouts.

I used 'No More Nails' glue to fix the hardboard panels to the foam but found it to give a weak bond. It holds OK but would not take much effort to break the seal resulting in the panels coming away with chunks of foam. For added strength I glued quarter inch wood blocks into the corner joins of the hardboard.

The two baseboards join together by means of butt hinges with removable hinge pins.

A fiddle yard will be constructed later that will connect to the scenic boards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...