About Comments

Comments are enabled on all postings. Click a posting to find the comment box. Comments are moderated and appear after my review.

Sunday, 25 October 2015

Pure Nostalgia (for me)

Just got back from the Reading Vintage Toy & Exhibition. Back in the 1970/80s we called them Swap Meets and I have not been to one since then, until recently.

Reading is my third in as many months. It was billed as 'Dateline 1995 - No new goods on sale'. I was doubtful that what I am on the lookout for would be there (too recent) and was proved right. But, what a display to behold. Where do they get this stuff from? Just about every toy car, train and more from distant childhood on display and many in pristine condition with prices to make your eyes water.

Plenty of people buying too. Mostly Greys well over 60. I saw a comment somewhere that when this lot have left this earth the bottom will fall out of the market for vintage toys. Certainly there were far too few children and young adults there and at least one I witnessed exhibited lack of interest in these old toys, much to the disappointment of his dad.

Unusual perhaps was a side exhibition of train layouts. These were not model railways as we know them but expansive train sets set out on bare boards. Train sets that only comprised vintage models from specific manufacturers. For example. Hornby Dublo and Tri-ang TT. Viewing these was like stepping back in time, some train sets dated even before my childhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...